Friends, family, strangers - welcome to my blog! My name is Trina, and I cook and bake as a hobby. I'd like to keep track of my recipes, as well as share them with my friends and family.


Cooking and baking your own food is so much healthier than buying pre-made meals at the store, and even restaurants can be a bit shifty sometimes. When you cook your own food, you know exactly what is going into your meal, and you can make it as healthy, fat-free, and flavourful as you want. Or as fatty and hearty as you want. Admittedly, most of my recipes (so far) are on the fatty, hearty, chock-full-of-meat side, but I assure you there's some of my famous vegan baking (indiscernable from baking with dairy and eggs) recipes in here!


ABOUT ME ... TIPS & TRICKS ... LINKS

Dec 9, 2009

Eesti Pannkoogid - Estonian Pancakes

This is my great aunt's recipe! These are delicious, they are like crepes more than pancakes. Enjoy with your favourite jam, particularly lingonberry or blackcurrant, with sour cream, or filled with ground beef and onions!

1/2 c. flour
1 1/4 c. milk
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs

Whisk ingredients together until very smooth. Let the batter sit for 15 minutes or longer before you begin to cook these.

Heat up a round fry pan, non-stick is easiest, on medium heat. Melt a chunk of butter and spread to all edges of the pan. Ladle in a spoonful of pannkook batter and tilt your pan until the batter has reached the edges. Since these are thicker than the traditional French crepe, the amount of batter you add to the pan is greater. Let the batter cook until the edges of the pannkook start to curl up, and the underneath is white and brown. Then, tactfully if possible, flip the pannkook over and cook for just a minute or two, until the unerneath is white and brown as well.

Repeat this procedure until all of your batter is used up. If you're coordinated enough, you can have two or three pans going at once to speed things up. My aunt serves me each one as it comes fresh off of the pan. Don't be fooled by how thin they are - they will fill you right up! They keep very well in the fridge, stacked, and reheat in the microwave beautifully.

3 comments:

  1. I should try and locate your great-grandmother's yeast pancake recipe - the lightest, fluffiest pancakes in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came back from Eesti! It was my second trip there and I LOVE the pankooks! I ate at Kompressor in Old Town many times! Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family and I also just got back from Eesti where we also ate at Kompressor three days in a row! This gave us a taste for awesome pankooks, so we looked up your recipe to make now. I used to eat at a pancake restaurant (with a bar like in a diner) in Lithuania when I was a student, and the Estonian ones brought me back to those days. Thanks for posting the recipe! Do you have one for fried potatoe cheese balls or garlic mayo?

    ReplyDelete