Friends, family, strangers - welcome to my blog! My name is Trina, and I cook and bake as a hobby. I'd like to keep track of my recipes, as well as share them with my friends and family.


Cooking and baking your own food is so much healthier than buying pre-made meals at the store, and even restaurants can be a bit shifty sometimes. When you cook your own food, you know exactly what is going into your meal, and you can make it as healthy, fat-free, and flavourful as you want. Or as fatty and hearty as you want. Admittedly, most of my recipes (so far) are on the fatty, hearty, chock-full-of-meat side, but I assure you there's some of my famous vegan baking (indiscernable from baking with dairy and eggs) recipes in here!


ABOUT ME ... TIPS & TRICKS ... LINKS

Mar 3, 2010

Adventures in Curry

I have never been a huge fan of curry. This is probably because I've always been served a pungent, strong, spicy dish that always seemed to overpower the main ingredients. I went to a dinner at the CN Tower last year for a prix-fixe experience. They offered a salmon curry dish, and I loved it simply because it was so mild, and the curry flavour was subtle.

Recently I've been hearing a lot about the health benefits of curry (thank you Dr. Oz!) - specifically turmeric. Can you say anti-cancer?! Just take a look at this. So I went to my local Bulk Barn and grabbed some spices. They have a pre-made curry powder, as well as the individual components of curry (cumin, coriander, turmeric). I took the pre-made powder, because I assumed it'd be a good jumping off point for someone who has never made a curry before!

The few times that I have truly enjoyed a curry dish, coconut milk has always been an ingredient. So I snatched a can of coconut milk, and I felt I was all ready to make my very first curry dinner! I had some chicken thighs that were on special, arranged them in a casserole dish, dumped in a can of diced potatoes and some frozen veggies. Then I made my curry sauce.

Now, I've been sick for the past number of days - heavy chest congestion. Just simmering the curry sauce cleared me up! I couldn't believe it. I heated up some oil, grated in a bunch of garlic, and that started the aromatic wonder that helped my congestion. Then I added ginger and about a tablespoon of curry powder. Pow! Right in the kisser. At this point my eyes were burning. It felt good. Simmer, simmer. Dumped in the coconut milk, and some chicken broth. Simmer, simmer. By then the house was filled with the aroma of this wonder spice. I poured the sauce over the chicken in the casserole, and baked the dish for an hour and a half in a 375 F oven. In the meantime, I cooked up some rice.

And you know what? For all that pungent smell, the curry was so mild, so subtle, I could hardly taste it! It was still very pleasant. If it were too strong, however, I don't think I would ever have made a second attempt at this "curry" business. But wouldn't you know it, I can't wait to try again, and to reap the benefits of adding turmeric to my diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment