Friends, family, strangers - welcome to my blog! My name is Trina, and I cook and bake as a hobby. I'd like to keep track of my recipes, as well as share them with my friends and family.


Cooking and baking your own food is so much healthier than buying pre-made meals at the store, and even restaurants can be a bit shifty sometimes. When you cook your own food, you know exactly what is going into your meal, and you can make it as healthy, fat-free, and flavourful as you want. Or as fatty and hearty as you want. Admittedly, most of my recipes (so far) are on the fatty, hearty, chock-full-of-meat side, but I assure you there's some of my famous vegan baking (indiscernable from baking with dairy and eggs) recipes in here!


ABOUT ME ... TIPS & TRICKS ... LINKS

Mar 24, 2010

Honey Glazed Pork Tenderloin

My dad gave me a lovely little pork tenderloin the other day. I wasn't sure how I would season it. I'm not a big fan of pork, so I wanted a marinade strong enough in flavour to help me "overcome" the pork thing. On the other hand, J loves pork (and just about any other meat in existence), so I had to make something that would delight his palette as well. This is what I came up with. Adapted from a Canadian Living recipe. Serves four.

A tenderloin is a long, skinny, and (as the name implies) tender cut of meat from an area between the animal's rump and ribs. For those of you who are scientifically inclined, Wikipedia states that "the tenderloin refers to the psoas major muscle anterior to the transverse processes of the lumbar vertebrae, near the kidneys." Since it is the least-used muscle in the animal's body, it is the most tender. It literally melts in your mouth. You might even be able to cut it with a butterknife after it's cooked. If you're counting pennies, watch your local grocery flyers, and scoop up a few of these when they're on sale. They keep in the freezer very well.

2 pork tenderloins
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
3 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. oyster sauce
1 - 2 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger, to taste
1 - 2 Tbsp. fresh minced garlic, to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a large Ziplock baggie. (Alternatively, mix marinade ingredients in a small bowl separate from the pork, and use two-thirds to marinate the pork and save the other third for serving.) Marinade the tenderloins in the fridge for at least half an hour, and up to a day.

Preheat a flame- or electric-grill to medium-high heat. Place marinated tenderloins on the grill - save the marinade juices for basting. Grill for at least ten minutes per side, or until desired doneness is reached. Baste tenderloins for the first few minutes of cooking. When tenderloins are done to your desire, remove them from the grill, place them on a cutting board, and tent them with foil. Let the meat sit for 5 minutes to calm down before slicing the tenderloin in thin, 1/2-inch slices. Serve with skin-on mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus (and the extra marinade you might have set aside).

I wanted to speed up my cooking time because I was using an indoor electric non-stick grill. So I "butterflied" my tenderloin - that is, I sliced it along its entire length, about halfway through, and opened it up, thus making it flatter. It quickened my cooking time, and it was just as juicy, tender, and delicious! Plus, the marinade settled into the "V" formed by butterflying it - and made it extra saucy. Drool.

No comments:

Post a Comment