Friends, family, strangers - welcome to my blog! My name is Trina, and I cook and bake as a hobby. I'd like to keep track of my recipes, as well as share them with my friends and family.


Cooking and baking your own food is so much healthier than buying pre-made meals at the store, and even restaurants can be a bit shifty sometimes. When you cook your own food, you know exactly what is going into your meal, and you can make it as healthy, fat-free, and flavourful as you want. Or as fatty and hearty as you want. Admittedly, most of my recipes (so far) are on the fatty, hearty, chock-full-of-meat side, but I assure you there's some of my famous vegan baking (indiscernable from baking with dairy and eggs) recipes in here!


ABOUT ME ... TIPS & TRICKS ... LINKS

Dec 19, 2009

Blog: The Nutcracker


Today we went to go see the Nutcracker Ballet in Toronto at the new Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts. It was, in one word, magnificent. I had never seen it before - I've always wanted to go ever since I was small. There are so may performances of the Nutcracker around, and we made the right choice to go see the one by the National Ballet of Canada. The sets were spectacular, the costumes were stunning, and the dancers were divine.

There was a full 60-member orchestra, and even though we were in the "nosebleed" section, the music was perfect. My favourite dances were those of the lamb and wolf, and the dance of the flowers. And the dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy was good too, but I think I like those ones with more dancers, rather than solos. J's favourite was "the dance with all those soldiers." The well-known dancing bears, the rat king, four roly-poly little chefs, and one heck of a horse all danced with such enthusiasm - you could hear the tittering of the crowd.

I have an immense appreciation for beauty, or what I consider "beautiful." I adore classical music pieces, mostly for the way they always manage to evoke such a wide range of emotion from you. Team that up with: The graceful lines of the dancers, the perfect pointe of a ballerina's toe, the wispy tutus and billowing skirts, and the energetic leaps of a man brave enough to wear a leotard. Add some excellent lighting, sets and props that mysteriously move without any tracks or cables, a lot of talent from choreographers and producers, and a story with a comforting feeling of the magic of winter, and you have one great ballet.

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend going to see it with your entire family. What a privilege to see such a magnificent performance!

No comments:

Post a Comment