Friends, family, strangers - welcome to my blog! My name is Trina, and I cook and bake as a hobby. I'd like to keep track of my recipes, as well as share them with my friends and family.


Cooking and baking your own food is so much healthier than buying pre-made meals at the store, and even restaurants can be a bit shifty sometimes. When you cook your own food, you know exactly what is going into your meal, and you can make it as healthy, fat-free, and flavourful as you want. Or as fatty and hearty as you want. Admittedly, most of my recipes (so far) are on the fatty, hearty, chock-full-of-meat side, but I assure you there's some of my famous vegan baking (indiscernable from baking with dairy and eggs) recipes in here!


ABOUT ME ... TIPS & TRICKS ... LINKS

Dec 9, 2009

Trina's Meatballs

My version of good old Italian meatballs. This is a slow-cooker recipe. I have never been fond of Swedish meatballs, that is why I prefer these! I have a hungry family, so I make 2 lbs. worth of balls - this way I get lots of leftovers. By all means cut the recipe in half to suit your needs, and add any extra spices or herbs to suit your taste.

2 lbs. lean ground beef
4 eggs, whisked
Fresh chopped sage to taste, I use about 1/8 c. Feel free to use dried sage
Salt, pepper, Italian seasoning to taste
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. garlic powder (fresh is, of course, OK too)

Squish all of these ingredients together. I use my hands, it is far more thorough. Squish until very well-combined. Prepare a skillet over medium heat, melt some bacon fat or butter. Form little 1-inch diameter balls and brown in the skillet. After each ball is browned, add to your slow cooker. They need not be cooked through, just very nicely crispy-brown.

When you have finished browning all of the balls, prepare the tomato sauce:

1 jar of your favourite tomato pasta sauce
Chopped veggies of your choice. I use sweet peppers, mushrooms, onions
1/2 c. beer or red wine (whatever your preference, or whatever you have lying around)
1 Tbsp. sugar
Fresh basil
... anything that tastes good!

Add these items into the slow cooker with the balls and stir carefully (you don't want to mash up all the meatballs).

Cook on HIGH for 3 - 4 hours. Serve on crusty rolls with provolone and mozzarella cheese topped with parmesan, or over spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment