Friends, family, strangers - welcome to my blog! My name is Trina, and I cook and bake as a hobby. I'd like to keep track of my recipes, as well as share them with my friends and family.


Cooking and baking your own food is so much healthier than buying pre-made meals at the store, and even restaurants can be a bit shifty sometimes. When you cook your own food, you know exactly what is going into your meal, and you can make it as healthy, fat-free, and flavourful as you want. Or as fatty and hearty as you want. Admittedly, most of my recipes (so far) are on the fatty, hearty, chock-full-of-meat side, but I assure you there's some of my famous vegan baking (indiscernable from baking with dairy and eggs) recipes in here!


ABOUT ME ... TIPS & TRICKS ... LINKS

Dec 9, 2009

Cream of Mushroom Soup

This is a mushroom soup recipe that even I like. It is so earthy and rich in flavour. I got the idea from Chef Michael Smith on the Food Network show, Chef at Home. This recipe, in the style of Mr. Smith, is all about taste. You don't need to measure to get the flavour you want - just taste it as you go!

Melt about 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute a variety of mushrooms (oyster, portobello, crimini, etc.) in the butter until golden. The more mushrooms you have crowding the pan, the less likely they will brown properly. You can saute the mushrooms in two batches if need be. Add a few Tbsp. white wine (red is OK too, it just tastes stronger) and reduce for a couple of minutes. Add 1 - 2 c. strong beef broth (depends on how much soup you would like to make). Add fresh grated garlic, salt, and pepper to taste. Chop about 1/8 c. fresh thyme and add to soup. Add more wine to taste, if desired. Simmer until flavours meld and mellow, about 10 minutes.

When soup is at your desired flavour and temperature, add a spash or two of heavy whipping cream (or table cream), until your desired colour and thickness is reached. Remove skillet from the heat and let the soup thicken slightly. Serve hot, with fresh garlic-rubbed toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment