Friends, family, strangers - welcome to my blog! My name is Trina, and I cook and bake as a hobby. I'd like to keep track of my recipes, as well as share them with my friends and family.


Cooking and baking your own food is so much healthier than buying pre-made meals at the store, and even restaurants can be a bit shifty sometimes. When you cook your own food, you know exactly what is going into your meal, and you can make it as healthy, fat-free, and flavourful as you want. Or as fatty and hearty as you want. Admittedly, most of my recipes (so far) are on the fatty, hearty, chock-full-of-meat side, but I assure you there's some of my famous vegan baking (indiscernable from baking with dairy and eggs) recipes in here!


ABOUT ME ... TIPS & TRICKS ... LINKS

Dec 9, 2009

Blog: Snow!


Holy snow, guys! It is wailin' out there! This is our first true snow of the season. It finally feels like Christmas! Every year I make Christmas gifts for my family. And cookies are the big hit - everyone loves our gingerbread! I think our family gingerbread recipe is a "secret" so I doubt I will be sharing it, unfortunately.

This year, J's family has asked for some Christmas cookies. I think I will be making a variety of cookies, in small batches, including shortbread, millionaire's shortbread, and peanut butter. I will probably use recipes from Joy of Baking, as usual. I will, of course, let you know how they turn out!

I have made a wreath for the front door, and some little Christmas baubles here and there, but now that it's snowing I feel like it's not enough! Time to deck our halls with lights, and let's not forget, the Tree. We always get a real tree, and this year, I have decided, will be no different. I will go to my friend Justin's tree farm, and his father will let me pick out a lovely Balsam Fir.

I have a debate going on in my head, that I feel most environmentalists will appreciate. It is the debate between getting a "real" and a "fake" tree. The real tree is a renewable resource, beautiful and scented, majestic yet humble. However, it is grown on perhaps a farm, for a number of years, just to be cut down and displayed in a family's home for a couple of weeks. Then it is put curb-side, or made bonfire-fodder. Then there is the "fake" tree: it can be purchased for slightly more than a real tree, and it has the potential to last 50 or more years. No tree-cutting required! But it is made of plastics and vinyls whose manufacturing processes are extremely ecologically dangerous, and plastics are a by-product of petroleum which is obviously a finite resource.

What would YOU do? Please comment!

Only 15 days 'till Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. Trina OMG!!! You have a BLOG!!!

    And you have a lot of posts already. Okay, here's what I would do, Trina:

    Buy a real tree. It smells good, it's renewable, it helps reduce CO2 while it's alive.

    As for the fake tree ... ah heck, I dunno. It's true that it lasts a long time. I guess I just don't see the ecological problem with farming trees. I certainly plan to get my parents to buy a real tree ...

    -Maya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read an article recently in the tornoto star about a compnay based out of Richmond BC that "rents" live christmas trees to people in large pots. Not sure the species used, although it is native to BC. People can either choose to send the tree back after the christmas season, or plant it on their property. Obviously the later makes sense for people living in BC as the climate can allow for trees to be planted during decemeber. Not really possible for us Ontarians.

    What a great idea though. And apparently they have a test site here in Ontario so we will likely see services like this in the near future! Looking forward to the vegan/vege recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maya! I feel the same way. I really do lean towards a real tree.

    Timmer, that company sounds amazing! Truly the best way to approach the family Christmas Tree purchase. I hope we see a bigger rent-a-tree market in Ontario very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real Trees are the way to go!!! A fake tree may last a few years, but once you are tired of it or it can't be fluffed up anymore, that tree at the curbsite will take 100's of years to desintegrate.

    ReplyDelete