Friends, family, strangers - welcome to my blog! My name is Trina, and I cook and bake as a hobby. I'd like to keep track of my recipes, as well as share them with my friends and family.


Cooking and baking your own food is so much healthier than buying pre-made meals at the store, and even restaurants can be a bit shifty sometimes. When you cook your own food, you know exactly what is going into your meal, and you can make it as healthy, fat-free, and flavourful as you want. Or as fatty and hearty as you want. Admittedly, most of my recipes (so far) are on the fatty, hearty, chock-full-of-meat side, but I assure you there's some of my famous vegan baking (indiscernable from baking with dairy and eggs) recipes in here!


ABOUT ME ... TIPS & TRICKS ... LINKS

Dec 9, 2009

Sauerkraut Stew

This is a delicious slow-cooker meal, inspired by Oktoberfest. Filled with kraut, browned pork, sausage, potatoes and carrots, it is hearty and heart-warming. This is one of my own creations.

Since this is a stew, play around with ingredients. This is not a set-in-stone recipe.

Marinate your pork: I used pork chops, but you can use any tasty cut. The tough bits will break down almost completely in the slow cooker anyway. Cube the pork into bite-sized chunks and marinate in a bowl, overnight, in worcestershire, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic.

- Saute 2 - 3 pounds of marinated pork, cubed, in butter until brown on all sides. Dump in slow cooker.
- Cut up 6 Oktoberfest sausages. I used mild. I'm sure spicy would be yummy too. Add to cooker.
- Add 1 large jar or can of sauerkraut (your favourite kind, I used wine-fermented), juice and all, to pot.
- Add diced carrots, cubed potatoes (I prefer skin-on), a diced onion.
- Add generously, to taste: worcestershire sauce, salt, spices (rosemary, thyme, sage, pepper), mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, red wine vinegar.
- Add heaping tablespoon full of beef bouillon, dissolved in 1 c. hot water.
- I like to make this dish a little bit sweet to balance the "sauer": a few tablespoons of sugar (or maple syrup), or cut up an apple.


Stir everything up, and cook it on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 10 - 12 hours.

Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream, and with some nice rye bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment