Friends, family, strangers - welcome to my blog! My name is Trina, and I cook and bake as a hobby. I'd like to keep track of my recipes, as well as share them with my friends and family.


Cooking and baking your own food is so much healthier than buying pre-made meals at the store, and even restaurants can be a bit shifty sometimes. When you cook your own food, you know exactly what is going into your meal, and you can make it as healthy, fat-free, and flavourful as you want. Or as fatty and hearty as you want. Admittedly, most of my recipes (so far) are on the fatty, hearty, chock-full-of-meat side, but I assure you there's some of my famous vegan baking (indiscernable from baking with dairy and eggs) recipes in here!


ABOUT ME ... TIPS & TRICKS ... LINKS

Dec 11, 2009

Stuffed Zucchini

Tim's bugging me to "get going" on putting up veg recipes. Here is a vegetarian delight! Even J loved it, and he's Mr. Meat! I'm posting this completely out of season, so save this one for a gorgeous summer evening when the zucchinis are ready to be picked.

Here's the story: My friend Justin brought over an enormous zucchini from his organic farm. I hadn't the faintest idea what to do with it. He suggested stuffing it. I used half of the zucchini to make muffins, and the other half on this.

Stuffing:
Optional: 1/2 lb. shrimp, peeled, cooked, chopped
3 - 6 cloves chopped garlic
12 fresh grape tomatoes (yellow and red), quartered
Handful of fresh basil, chopped
1/4 of a kolrabi, julienned
10 green beans, chopped
1/4 c. bread crumbs
3 - 4 Tbsp. cream cheese

Mix all of these ingredients in a bowl until very well combined. Stuff this mixture into a zucchini, prepared thusly:

Half the zucchini lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, but leave lots of flesh remaining. On the skin side, slice just a bit off the bottom so the zucchini sits flat. They should look like boats. You can do this with smaller zucchinis, as well. Place the unstuffed zucchinis skin side up, on a cookie sheet and broil at 500 F for about 5 - 10 minutes, or until they are sweating. Remove from oven, turn flesh side up, brush with oil, and sprinkle on salt and pepper.

Now, stuff your zucchinis with the veggie mixture, and sprinkle them generously with freshly grated parmesan and some more breadcrumbs. Bake at 425 F until stuffing is bubbling, parmesan is melted, and top is nice and crunchy, about 40 minutes!

Serves two, with one-half of a very large zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment