Friends, family, strangers - welcome to my blog! My name is Trina, and I cook and bake as a hobby. I'd like to keep track of my recipes, as well as share them with my friends and family.


Cooking and baking your own food is so much healthier than buying pre-made meals at the store, and even restaurants can be a bit shifty sometimes. When you cook your own food, you know exactly what is going into your meal, and you can make it as healthy, fat-free, and flavourful as you want. Or as fatty and hearty as you want. Admittedly, most of my recipes (so far) are on the fatty, hearty, chock-full-of-meat side, but I assure you there's some of my famous vegan baking (indiscernable from baking with dairy and eggs) recipes in here!


ABOUT ME ... TIPS & TRICKS ... LINKS

Dec 11, 2009

Super Duper Zucchini Muffins

Somehow, these muffins were ridiculously fluffy. That's a good thing. I just didn't understand how, because I put two cups of sopping wet zucchini into these! Vegan alternative in (brackets). Adapted from allrecipes.com

2 1/4 c. flour
1 c. white sugar (Redpath sugar)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. each cinnamon and nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. vegetable shortening, margarine, or unsalted butter
1/4 c. buttermilk or yogourt (or vinegar + soy milk)
2 eggs (or 2 portions egg substitute)
2 c. shredded zucchini - I left the skin on, and seeds in, and I used a cheese grater to shred it all
Optional: 1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease or spray-oil a muffin tin. Combine the sugar and dry ingredients. Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients, or use a food processor to combine shortening and dry ingredients. This step is important, as it is responsible for the fluffiness of these muffins!

Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl, and mix them into the shortening-flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the nuts. Distribute evenly to each muffin cup and bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a centre muffin comes out clean.

Serve warm and fresh, on their own or spread with butter.

4 comments:

  1. These muffins turned out absolutely delicious! Thanks for the recipe Trina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made them again and put sun-dried tomatoes in half of them this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was tasty.

    -Sanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a good idea, Sanda! Mmmm sun-dried tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete